Monday, January 30, 2012

A Hunting We Will Go!

Ok...so it's not hunting season in Montana, but I've got to get ready for hunting season next fall!

Mule deer buck and doe *image from here*
My husband (Dylan) will be heading to town with me later this week to get signed up for hunter's safety!  But it's not for him...it's for ME!  Dylan is just coming with me for moral support.  Such a nice guy!  I know...I know..."How can Whitney not have her hunting license yet?"  Well lemme tell you how it all went down.

Back when I was a youngin', I played a lot of basketball so I didn't take the hunter's safety course when most kids in Montana take the course around the age of 13.  So now, here I am, a 24 year old ranch woman without a hunting license (which by the way, is a sin in the ranch woman handbook...ok, not really)!  Hunting is a big deal in Montana, not only for the hopes of finding the big trophy animals but also as a way for many folks to add some extra meat to their freezers. 

Dylan and his mule deer buck in 2010
In addition to taking the hunter's safety course, this course will also help me fulfill the requirements to obtain a concealed weapons permit.  So watch out! I'll be a Pistol Packin' Mama!
Image from here
I'm really excited to finally get my hunting license because all of my life I have went hunting but never gotten to actually kill a deer!  I've just always helped with all of the 'work' part of it, like field dressing the deer (removing the innards), cutting up the deer, wrapping the meat, or taking the deer to the meat processor.  So hopefully this next fall I can share pictures and stories with all of you about my first deer!

What about you?  Do you have any great hunting stories?  I'd love to hear them! 

Thanks for joining me down the dirt roads!  Keep dreamin' those 'big buck' dreams!

Cheers,
Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment